Week Forty-Seven: Hot and cold
Cold is pretty much a given when it comes to ice cream, so the hot part made this fun. I revisited the chilli chocolate that briefly came up in Asian Fusion (before I made the wasabi chocolate that did not work) in a cliche … but it’s cliched for a reason! And that’s because it’s an ancient pairing that goes so well together. This also gave me the chance to simplify my chocolate ice cream recipe.
Chilli chocolate ice cream
I made 750g of mixture; for ease of measurements it’s best to do it in 150g increments and I didn’t have 900g of mixture’s worth of chocolate available when I made it so 750g it was!
Ingredients
50% single (19% butterfat) cream
10% whipping (39% butterfat) cream
10% water
15% caster sugar
10% egg yolk (1 medium egg yolk per 150g of mixture; see why 150g increments are easiest?)
5% very dark chocolate, I used a 100% cocoa this time but originally formulated it on 90%
(1 chilli of your choice, cut up)
Method
1. Put all ingredients into a pan and heat what constantly whisking; stop once a custard has been formed, when you can draw a line in the mixture on the back of a spoon.
2. Pass through a sieve to strain out the chilli
3. Allow mixture to cool; for best food safety use an ice bath to bring it down to 20C before putting in the fridge.
4. Rewhisk just prior to churning.
5. Churn according to your ice cream machine’s instructions, stopping at soft serve texture.
6. Put into a container and freeze for at least four hours, preferably overnight.
Here is the video of it being made and tested, but spoiler alert, I was really pleased with this one.
Comments
Post a Comment