Week One: Basics

On a reddit called 52 Weeks of Ice Cream, the aim is (unsurprisingly) to make 52 ice creams in 2024, following a weekly theme. As I’m essentially an ice cream tinkerer and newly armed with a fancy ice cream machine, this appealed greatly, and so here we are. 


The first theme is ‘basics’ and what would be more basic than making what is literally my base ice cream? It only uses three ingredients (and two of those are variants of each other) and instructions that are essentially ‘weigh’ and ‘mix’. I made 600g but I do everything in ice cream by percentages, and I’ve given those too so you can make any amount you like.


Ingredients:


340.2g single (19% fat) cream (56.7%)

139.2g whipping (39% fat) cream (23.2%)

120.6g caster sugar* (20.1%)

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1gbINzaHRrRuwpEGUKoYwEB9VCO1VW799

* Caster sugar seems to be a UK thing; it’s very fine granulated sugar, different to powdered/confectioner’s/icing sugar in that it has nothing else added to it; granulated sugar will work instead, or could be ground down to make DIY caster sugar.


Method:

(I use a stand mixer with a balloon whisk; you could whisk by hand, or with a handheld electric whisk on a low speed.)


1. Put both creams into the mixer bowl.

2. Slowly whisk the cream whilst adding the sugar gradually.

3. Once all the sugar is added, continue to whisk for about 30 seconds or until the sugar is well mixed in.

4. Chill the mixture for several hours, overnight if possible.

5. Whisk on a low speed again just prior to churn.

6. Churn according to your ice cream machine’s instructions.

7. Put ice cream into a container; to achieve a hard ice cream texture, put in the freezer for at least several hours.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1_Pk6CYq25t4Z3tq7KyUcr4ZGlb1toqxI

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1fThepsNMbrbasOepZrOzhC5GAAH1ztj2


And that is how I make what I consider to be my easiest nice ice cream, and also I use this recipe as the base for all my other non-custard ice creams.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week Eight: With a Twist

Week Twenty-Five: Summer