Week Fifty-One: Crossover

For reasons that the video explains, I ended up making yeasted waffles this week rather than an ice cream. To be precise, I made what were called Flemish wafers to the exact recipe (barring a minor adaptation of the yeast) found in an 1822 book.

Flemish wafers 

Ingredients

It’s best to make 750g or you can make a multiple of 750g, but I wouldn’t make a different amount because the eggs get difficult.

150g plain flour (20%)
5.63g dried active yeast - this is almost exactly half a tablespoon (0.75%)
187.5g whole milk (25%) warmed up
75g egg yolk (10%) - it’s one medium egg yolk per 150g total
75g caster sugar (10%)
1.88g lemon zest (0.25%) - it’s half a lemon well grated, more like a whole lemon if you’re like me and patchily grate
150g unsalted butter (20%) melted
112.5g egg white (15%) - it’s one medium egg white per 250g total

You may notice that’s over 100% - it’s actually 101% - but the one egg white per 250g isn’t quite 15%, it’s more like 14%, so it all works out.

Method

1. Mix the flour and yeast together in a large bowl

2. Add the warm milk and mix it to a paste

3. Leave it to rise - I found an hour and a half in an airing cupboard is about right, see the video for what it looked like at this point

4. Add the egg yolk, caster sugar, lemon zest and melted butter, and stir in well

5. Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks and fold them in, gently but thoroughly

6. Leave to rise again - I often make the batter the night before and leave it to rise in the fridge overnight so I have waffles for breakfast, but you could do another two-ish hours in a warm place

7. Make your waffles; do not grease your waffle irons, there is so much butter in this recipe it doesn’t need it

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week One: Basics

Week Eight: With a Twist

Week Twenty-Five: Summer