Week Thirty-Eight: 60s/70s
This was the hardest of these time period themes, for me. It’s not old enough to be interesting from a historical perspective, I’m not old enough to remember it and bring some of my actual life experiences to it; it was just a bit in the middle for me. I’ve touched upon the 50s before, and regular readers will know my entire ice cream premise is historical recipes, but by the 60s and 70s the recipes are recognisable as modern ones. So I settled for asking people who had been around then for ideas, and one of my friends said, “I wonder if you could do something with Angel Delight?” which is basically a flavoured powder you add to milk to thicken it and it turns into a mousse like pudding. So today, on ‘will it ice cream’, we have Angel Delight ice cream.

Angel Delight ice cream
Ingredients
2 packs of Angel Delight mix, in your preferred flavour (I used butterscotch)
600ml single (19% butterfat) cream
50g liquid glucose (I was concerned there isn’t enough sugar in the Angel Delight mixture to keep the ice cream soft, I learned from the carrageen moss event)
This scales quite easily, for every pack of Angel Delight mix you need 300ml of single cream and 25g of liquid glucose. I wouldn’t make less than I made but you could easily make more.
Method
1. Whisk all ingredients together until combined
2. Add straight into your ice cream machine; I put it in the bowl before churning because it’s not really pourable, but that only works on a machine with a compressor - if you have a freezer bowl and try that, it’ll freeze to the sides, so do your best to scoop it in as it churns
3. Churn according to your ice cream machine’s instructions; you’ll need to keep an eye on it and test it because it always resembles soft serve, and I actually found it had a strange ‘dip’ in the churning where it seemed to go more liquid before freezing
4. Put into a container and freeze for at least four hours, preferably overnight.
I think this is somewhere in the middle. It tastes pretty nice and the texture wasn’t bad, I’m a sweet tooth anyway and might be tempted to add some more sugar which will also soften it further - I might go for 40g sugar and 25g liquid glucose per pack of Angel Delight mix - but it was fairly easy to scoop straight from the freezer. But it also had an odd mouthfeel, it felt like it should be very high fat even though it isn’t and doesn’t leave the fatty covering in your mouth. It also went a strange colour, which admittedly doesn’t actually affect the ice cream itself but was unusual. Overall, I don’t think I’ll bother ice creaming Angel Delight again.
Comments
Post a Comment