Week Twenty-Three: Asian fusion

(My autocorrect tried to turn the title into a racially offensive stereotype.)

I spent quite a while deciding what to do for this week. Asian fusion isn’t something I have much experience with, it’s not a type of cuisine I eat, and I was having nothing inspire me. Then I was in the shower one evening and the thought just appeared, what if I replace the chilli in chocolate chilli with wasabi? I doubted this was a unique idea, and indeed it wasn’t - you can even buy wasabi flavoured chocolate from Lindt - but it also wasn’t overdone and it was the only idea I had so even if everyone and their grandma were making chocolate wasabi ice cream, I would have been making it too still.

The chocolate part of this was easy, many weeks ago I made every Gunter’s chocolate ice cream recipe because they all had different recipes. Out of them, my preference was for Nutt’s recipe, so that’s the chocolate ice cream I’m going to use here. Deciding how much wasabi to use was the more difficult part. It’s not like there are recipes available for this, so I decided to look at recipes that had similar ingredients. Wasabi isn’t hot in the same way chilli is, I’ve tended to experience it in much the same way I do cinnamon, so I looked at cinnamon recipes. My trusted ice cream source Hello My Name Is Ice Cream used between a stick and a half and two sticks of cinnamon in a 1000g recipe; each stick is between half a tablespoon and a tablespoon of ground cinnamon. I didn’t want to not taste the wasabi but I also didn’t want to overwhelm and I do find wasabi hotter than cinnamon. I decided to use a tablespoon of wasabi. 

On the topic of wasabi, I am using fresh whole wasabi; it’s not quite £80 of citrons expensive (nowhere near) but it’s not the cheapest either. I felt using fresh wasabi was more in keeping with the Gunter’s confectioners, but to be honest if I want to make it again, I’ll probably use a shop bought wasabi paste which I know isn’t entirely wasabi and is largely horseradish, which to be fair is a flavour I like and when my allium intolerance is really flaring up I often use horseradish as a garlic replacement in cooking. In fact, as you’ll see in a minute, I think it might even be preferable to use wasabi paste.

Chocolate wasabi ice cream

There isn’t a new recipe exactly for this one, pick your favourite chocolate ice cream recipe and add 10.24% of the total weight of wasabi.

Whisk it in whilst forming the custard but definitely make sure you strain the mixture.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1sbyo5R-RVOuBeyoJgktWXRC0x_D6YFCY
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1hlnNyWRWPHtNgpofNQyyzvt9yaPlIO0D

This one disappointed me but it’s honestly almost certainly my fault. Wasabi is a fussy ingredient, and I didn’t really know what I was doing with it. It pretty much got lost in the ice cream, with the only impact being a very mild earthy taste and a very grainy texture. But I do like the idea of it and with a bit more time to make the ice cream, I’m going to experiment with the amounts and methods because I really want to make this flavour work. I think wasabi paste might work better, being more concentrated. Once I’ve got it I’ll post an updated recipe.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week One: Basics

Week Eight: With a Twist

Week Twenty-Five: Summer